Friday, September 1, 2017

So you want to be a Minister?



The Ministry of Public Utilities has once again been thrown into chaos, as the appointment of Robert Le Hunte has been revoked after just two days. Trinbagonian born Le Hunte, who holds a Ghanaian passport didn’t know that only citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, can serve in Parliament. In his defence, he said he was sick at home the day they taught that in Standard Five Social Studies class. The Prime Minister has said he will reappoint Mr. Le Hunte once he figures out which country he belongs too. Until then Dr. Rowley has started interviewing back up candidates, of which the Express has received exclusive transcripts off. Here they are:


Interview 1. The Community Leader.

Dr. Rowley:                          So, from your CV you seem like an enterprising young man. Tell me about yourself.

Krisis:                                     Well my name is Krisis. My motto is peace and love and unity. That’s all I have to say. I don’t really like telling people my business. I hope you not recording this. Because my other motto is “snitches get stitches”.

Dr. Rowley:                          Why do you want to be the Minister of Public Utilities, Krisis?

Krisis:                                     I think I’ll be really good at it. I know how to manage people.  I know about Government contracts. And I smart enough to know not to invite my friends when I getting sworn in.

Dr. Rowley:                          Do you mind working in teams?

Krisis:                                     As long as the teams are not from South Enterprise. Because that will be a problem.

Dr. Rowley:                          We’ll be in touch Krisis.


Interview 2. The Entrepreneur

Dr. Rowley:                          So it says here, your name is ‘Chocolate Man’, and you are from Princes Town?

Chocolate Man:                  Yes, Sir, that’s me. I’m applying for this job because I think it’s time to change careers; to go from just stealing chocolates from groceries to stealing a ferry-full of chocolate via a government ministry.

Dr. Rowley:                          This job calls for thinking outside the box. Solve this problem for me. Say you need to get your hands on a lot of chocolate. Do you, A, make a dummy company and then, using your position award that company millions worth of Government contracts in chocolates? Or, B, walk into a grocery and shove a lot of chocolate bars down your pants?

 Chocolate Man:                 B, walk into a grocery and shove a lot of chocolate bars down my pants.

Dr. Rowley:                          Sorry Chocolate Man, I don’t think you’re Minister material.

Interview 3. The Politician

Dr. Rowley:                          So Mr. Duke, it says here you are the Minority Leader in the Tobago House of Assembly. What do you think has been your greatest accomplishment?

Watson Duke:                     Well, I just swam all the way from Tobago to Toco in like 2 hours.

Dr. Rowley:                          You swam 25 miles in two hours? Somehow I doubt that is possible. What proof do you have?

Watson Duke:                     I have ironclad proof!  I have 50 thousand ‘likes’ on Facebook dude!  

Dr. Rowley:                          What exactly do you think you proved by doing this?


Watson Duke:                     Well, I showed the whole of Trinidad how serious we in Tobago take the breakdown of the sea bridge. I showed that we will not be ignored and that from now on everyone will pay attention to the problems of Tobago.

Dr. Rowley:                          Sorry, what? I wasn’t listening. I was filling out my holiday request form. Listen Mr. Duke, I don’t like cheap publicity stunts. Except for cheap publicity stunts that support the government. I’m going to have to turn you down.

Watson Duke:                     In the name of Poseidon-you’ll regret this!


Interview 4.             The Secretary         

Dr. Rowley:                          So, you’re Elena Araujo the Secretary of the Law Association.  Why do you want to be Minister of Public Utilities?

Elena Araujo:                       Look you need to shut up. Every body needs to shut up and stop asking questions.

Dr. Rowley:                          Sorry, there must be some confusion, this interview is for Minister of Public Utilities not Minister of Communication.

Elena Araujo:                       I said zip it ok! We all need to be responsible and stop asking questions when political opponents are arrested. It’s none of our business. It doesn’t concern us. Just shut up! Stop bad talking the government and the police!

Dr. Rowley:                          You’re hired. When can you start?

















No comments: